Ancient Tindaris is located on high ground overlooking the Tyrrhenian coast about 60 kilometers west of Messina. Like Morgantina, Tindaris was settled during the Bronze Age (circa 1500 BC). The Syracusan Greeks refounded it in 396 BC, and in 254 BC it became a Roman city. Tindaris supported Pompey in his war against Octavian, and was conquered by Agrippa in 36 BC. Augustus made it a colony. The town suffered the effects of a landslide at the end of the 1st century AD, and an earthquake in 365 AD.Tindaris was the most important Greek city in this vicinity, though most of what the visitor sees today was constructed during the Roman era.